TikTok is a social media application that allows users to watch and post 60-second videos. It has over 1 billion users in 155 countries. It emerged when the application named Musical.ly was acquired by Chinese ByteDance Technology in 2017.
When you create an account on TikTok, your account is public by default. That is, anyone can see the posts, get your location (location), send a private (direct) message. In this case, accounts created especially for children should be immediately transferred to Private status. Also, make sure that features like comments, duets, or messages are only available to friends rather than public.
Do not forget that there are predators on the Internet who are malicious, attracted to children, and especially those who follow public accounts.
Is TikTok safe for kids?
How to make your TikTok private
If you have a private account, only people you approve can follow you, view your videos, LIVE videos, bio, likes as well as you’re following and follower’s lists. With a private account, other people won’t be able to Duet, Stitch, or download your videos. So here is the steps that you should follow to make your account private:
To set your account as private or public:
1. Tap Profile in the bottom right.
2. Tap the 3-line icon in the top right.
3. Tap Settings and Privacy.
4. Go to Privacy.
5. Turn Private Account on or off.
What else can we do to protect our own safety?
Here is the things you can do to protect your own self.
- Don’t overshare: Don’t use your full name or specify your age. Keep identifiable personal landmarks like street signs and schools out of view.
- Don’t allow other users to find you: By default, TikTok shares your content with the entire app’s community. To prevent that, you can turn off “Suggest your account to others” in settings.
- Don’t let other users interact with you: Also in TikTok’s settings, you can disable privacy options like “Allow your videos to be downloaded” and to restrict “Who can send you direct messages” to just friends.